Feb 11, 2010

I Sleep in a Capsule

By that evening we were in Tokyo. Having arrived a day early, we checked in to the 'ladies' floor of a capsule hotel in Asakusa, the central tourist district in Tokyo. You do this by feeding notes into a vending machine in the lobby in exchange for a coupon. You then give the coupon to the receptionist who is standing about two meters away from you behind the the front desk. The sleeping capsules are stacked one on top of the other, and were larger than I’d expected. Once inside, even an outsized foreigner has enough room to kneel or lie comfortably. There’s a small TV attached to the low ceiling and a blind you can pull at the one end for privacy. Most of the other capsules were unoccupied that night, and I slept better than I have in most backpacker dorms.

No comments:

Post a Comment